Sunday, May 31, 2009

UP

I love Pixar. More than any other studio or film maker for that matter. Pixar has yet to make a sub par movie. Let's go through the list shall we?
1.Toy Story
2.Bug's Life
3.Toy Story 2
4.Monsters Inc.
5.Finding Nemo
6.The Incredibles
7.Cars
8.Ratatouille
9.WALL-E
10.UP

I challenge you to find another film maker that has made ten incredible movies in a row. You can't. You know why? It does not exist. One of the many things that makes Pixar so special is that story comes first. They make movies that appeal to kids with the characters but it is the great stories that that get the parents to the theater not seemingly as hostages (this applies to any parent who took their kid to see the chipmunk movie or under dog, or garfield, etc.) but as willing participants. Dreamworks' animation dept. tried copying this but ultimately succumbed to the temptation of the dollar. I sat through Shrek 3 once and if you put a gun to my head I could not tell you how it ends because I honestly don't remember. I could watch any Pixar movie at any time of any day because they are great. The one thing that I can say that Pixar does not do well is that there are times when they don't make the best trailers for their movies. When I went into see Ratatouille I had no idea what the movie was about and was thinking that this is going to be the one that ends the streak of great movies. I could not have been more wrong. WALL-E was easily in my top 3 movies from last year and UP will be this year. UP is the story of Carl Fredricksen a man who is having trouble letting go. The first 20 mins of UP are among the most emotion and heart wrenching that I have ever experienced. Pixar's gift to the world is taking an animated movies and injecting it with a beating heart and soul, this is what allows us mere mortals to identify with a love sick robot, an overprotective fish, and a rat with delusions of grandeur. Pixar is in a caretgory all to itself and we are all the better for it. If you haven't seen UP, see it. If you have seen UP, see it again. Then when the lights come back on in the theater wipe the satisfying tears from your eyes and thank God for the fantastic story tellers of Pixar.

No comments:

Post a Comment